Monday, December 10, 2007

A Little More Cheeky, A Little Less Wreckless: Wrecless Eric and Amy Rigby, the Adored @ Safari Sam's December 6th 2007

The last couple of times I've been to Safari Sam's it always seems to be raining... this should also tell you the frequency in which I attend concerts here. But it's a nice enough club... it kinda makes me think of what you would get if you turned an Old Spaghetti Factory into a club. Anyways, I get the emails from Safari Sam's and they were highlighting Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby, although I didn't put it together that they were playing both at the same time till I got there (they're dating???), so I thought that was a good enough reason to go to Hollywood.

We caught one of the opening bands (although Christopher bought a cd from one of the earlier guys who we didn't see because the guy told him it was good- and I promise, yes, I will listen to it soon- I just keep forgetting it at the house). When we walked in, The Adored had just started to play and we immediately turned our attention to them; they were fun. Their live sound is much more intense than their recorded stuff. That comes off as a bit over produced and sounds like too many other bands. But live they pulled off a great set. They sound like they belong in the British post punk set, but they're from Los Angeles.

Up next, and last, was Wreckless Eric and Amy Rigby. It was just the two of them with guitars and occasionally Amy on keyboard with Eric on guitar. Both played songs from their own collections and played really well off each other. There were a few technical glitches (the keys could not be heard at all on the first song that was played with them) but everything smoothed out by the end. Memorable songs for the night included Amy's "Are We Ever Going to Have Sex Again?" and Wreckless Eric's "Reconnez Cherie". Between songs was Eric's British banter about toilets and things that sound funny when spoken with a British accent. It was a good mixed crowd and not too crowded. There was even some chairs to sit in! For me it was great to be back at a show after a hiatus.

Stay tuned for the Santa People at Little Radio show review!

No comments: